Student Visas

Did you know Australia has the third highest number of international students in the world despite having a population of only 23 million?


This isn’t surprising when you consider Australia has 7 of the top 100 universities in the world! In fact, with over 22,000 courses across 1,100 institutions, Australia sits above the likes of Germany, the Netherlands and Japan.


You can study at all levels of education from primary and secondary school, to vocational education and training (VET), from English language courses to higher education degrees. And regardless of what you are studying or how long you are studying in Australia,  the laws promote quality education and protection for international students. 


There are many student visa subclasses and you have to choose an appropriate category to ensure your student visa. It is best to involve an Australian migration and Education agent, like Uvision Australia to assist in choosing the appropriate visa and course for you. Subclasses are divided according to the subject or course curricular.

The subclasses of student visa are:

ELICOS (English language course for overseas students )

Students wishing to undertake a stand along English language course that once completed provide a certificate with no formal Australian Award.


Australia offers a range of English courses to suit a range of study needs. These include:


  • General English - To improve general proficiency to access higher level courses; to improve your English for travel; or to do casual work in an English speaking country. Focusing on communication skills with emphasis on speaking and listening
  • English for Academic Purposes (EAP) - If you want to study in an Australian academy, vocational college or university. Preparing you for study at an English-speaking university, higher education or vocational institute
  • Examination Preperation - If you plan to take an exam such as IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, or the Cambridge First Certificate. Preparing you for English language proficiency examinations.
  • English for Specific Purposes - If you want to learn the spoken and written English needed for a specific context. Focusing on practical English for specific course areas such as business, aviation or tourism.
  • English For Teaching - If you want to teach English in schools in your own country. These courses include TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, EfTC (English for Teaching Children.)
  • Study Tour - If you want to have a short holiday and study English. These courses are a combination of General English with sporting, social, tourist or cultural activities.

Vocational Education (VET)


For students wishing to undertake courses that lead to a certificate II, III, IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma,


Whether you’re looking to move straight into the workforce, or to take an initial step in your tertiary education, an Australian Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification can take you where you want to go.


Higher Education 


For students wishing to partake in course that offer qualifications such as a bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, a masters degree or graduate diploma.


Higher education courses can be taken to earn an advanced degree and continue your studies in Australia. There are three main types of higher education which lead to Bachelor, Master and Doctoral Degrees.


There are 42 universities in Australia (39 Australian universities, two international universities, and one private specialty university). Along with our universities, many other institutions offer higher education courses.  

Primary & Secondary School

This visa subclass offers primary, junior as well as secondary education course in addition to permitting participation in school exchange programs at secondary level.

Postgraduate Research

This visa is available for international students who wish to earn a Masters (by research) or a Doctoral dregree.

Student Guardian

This is a visa for parents or adult relatives of international students studying in Australia, and who are seeking to stay in Australia as the student´s guardian. Generally, the student has to be less than 18 years of age, exemptions apply.


General Information 

Assessment for a student visa depend on your nationality and the type of Student Visa you are applying for – these factors will be used to measure you assessment level which will range from one to five. The higher your assessment level score, the more documentary evidence you will be required to provide with your applications


Applicants can have family members accompanying them to Australia for the duration of their courses. Students are allowed to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight. Students can work unlimited hours when courses are in semester breaks. 


For a free consultation, or further information regarding courses, institutes, universities, monthly specials, scholarships, etc, Please visit our Uvision Education Services section or contact our education advisors today!