Family Visas

The Family Stream seeks to reunite Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents with their close family members.

There are a number of migration options for fiancés, partners, children, parents and other family members of Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents.

Visa Options 


Partner Visas


Partners and fiancés of Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents may apply to enter and/or remain permanently in Australia.

There are various visas for people from overseas and for people in Australia to stay with their partner, these include:

  • Spouse visa

The sponsoring partner must be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident. If two years after you apply the spousal relationship is ongoing, a permanent visa may be granted.

  • De facto Visa (including those in a same-sex relationship)

If you have a partner and you haven resided together for 12 months (less or never), you may be eligible to apply for a visa on de facto grounds. The definition of de facto in the legislation does not necessarily indicate that couples have to cohabited, there are other ways to evidence your genuine relationship,  please contact us to assess your situation and advise you accordingly.

  • Prospective Marriage Visa (fiancés) 

If you have plans to get married, you don’t have to wait until you marry to apply for a partner visa to come to Australia. There are visas for people from overseas to enter Australia, marry their fiancé, who must be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident. Once married, holders of this visa can then apply to remain permanently in Australia.




You (the sponsor) must be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident


These visas are for parents whose age is equivalent to a person who is eligible for an Australian Age pension.


These are visa pathways for permanent residence for aged parents to come or remain in Australia. Applicants must have children who are living in Australia. There are also options for visas that cost more than the aged parent visa but are generally processed faster.


There are visas which allow aged parents who are in Australia on a temporary basis and who have children living in Australia, to live in Australia for two years; you must apply for a permanent visa before this temporary visa expires.



  • Children
These permanent visas are for children from overseas (or in Australia) who are children or stepchildren of, an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident.


The parent must act as sponsor for the child and can lodge the visa application on behalf of the child.


The Child/dependent must be under the age of 25 years of age.


There are also visa options for children whose parent hold a temporary partner visa and are in the process of obtaining a permanent partner visa. Note: If this visa is granted, the child must lodge a separate application for the same permanent visa as their parent before a decision is made on the parent's permanent visa application. 

  • Orphan Relative
This visa is for children under 18 years of age whose parents are unable to care for them. It allows the child to travel to and live in Australia with an Australian relative.


These children can be overseas or in Australia, their parents have to be deceased, permanently incapacitated, or whose whereabouts are unknown and who have an eligible sponsor.

  • Adoption
This visa is for children outside Australia, who are under 18 years of age, and in the process of being, or who have been, adopted, by an Australian citizen or permanent resident.


Important: If the child was adopted before the parent became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent visa, they cannot apply for this visa.



Other Family
  • Remaining Relative
 For people to join their brothers, sisters or parents who are their only near relatives and are usually resident in Australia. 
  • Aged Dependant Relative
 A permanent visa for aged persons who rely on a relative in Australia for all, or most, of their living costs. 
  • Carer Visa
For people needed to care for an Australian relative or a member of their family unit, who has a medical condition.



To find the best Family visa option that suits your (or your family's) circumstances please CONTACT US by phone or email to book a personalised consultation and our registered migration agents will contact you to assist your with immigration advice, visa application process, complications (if any), fees and most importantly to break down what is the best way to bring (or join) your family in Australia.




TELEPHONE : +61 2 80404427
EMAIL: [email protected]