Higher Education (University)

Higher education courses can be taken to earn an advanced degree to launch your professional career in Australia. There are three main types of higher education options in Australia: Bachelor Degree, Masters Degree and Doctorate Degree.


There are 42 universities in Australia: 39 Australian universities, two international universities, and one private specialty university. In addition to these universities, many other institutions offer higher education courses.




The types of awards offered by Universities include:


  • Bachelor degree : Minimum three years' full-time undergraduate study, although some three year course can be finished in 2 or 2.5 year with 3 semester study options. Uvision Australia offers packages where you can study a diploma or advance diploma at an institution and obtain your Bachelor's degree within 1.5 years. This can assist in minimizing the cost of obtaining your higher education qualification. This option is only available to some universities; for more information please contact our team of Education Advisors so we can advise you on the best option to study in Australia.
  • Bachelor degree with Honours : Awarded following outstanding results during a three-year degree course, or by undertaking one extra year of study.
  • Postgraduate Certificate : One semester of full-time study following a Bachelor degree. 
  • Postgraduate/Graduate Diploma : Two semesters (one year) of full-time study following a Bachelor degree. 
  • Masters degree : Normally two years of study after a Bachelor degree or one year after an Honours Bachelor degree. The Masters degree is offered by coursework and thesis, or research and thesis. 
  • Doctorate : Normally a minimum of three years study. Doctorates are awarded through research and thesis, and may be taken after successful completion of a Masters degree or in some instances, a Bachelor degree with Honours. 
Entry Requirements

Undergraduate courses require either an Australian Secondary School Certificate of Education (Year 12) or overseas equivalent of Australian high school matriculation. You must also meet the minimum level of English entry requirement, generally an IELTS result of 6.0 for undergraduate or 6.5 for postgraduate (or equivalent)

Options after you graduate


The Department of Immigration and Border Protection offer post -graduate working visa options. International students who graduate from an Australian university can:

  • If completed a Bachelor degree in Australia will guarantee 2 years of work visa on completion of studies.
  • If Completed a master or a Phd will guarantee 2 or 3 years of work visa on completion of studies.

The new 2-3 year Temporary Graduate work visa is a great chance to gain work experience in an English speaking country like Australia. After completing university studies in Australia, English language proficiency should open opportunities for international students to gain employment and potentially a sponsorship from a company for permanent residence. Please visit our Migration Section for our migration services which includes professional advice on recommended visa options after your student visa.


If you require any advice on Higher Education options in Australia, please contact our education advisors to analyse your situation and recommend which pathway suits you best


Thank you,


Team Uvision Australia